Better Grammar for Professional Business Communications
by Valerie Valberg-Yeoh
Why You Should Attend This Course
This course is critical for all levels of staff who need to communicate ideas effectively in good business English. Both internal and external communication benefit when the grammar is intact. No time is wasted deciphering the message. Writing that reflects a sound grasp of grammar presents an impressive professional image to prospective clients.
- Participants will develop a clear understanding of basic grammar rules.
- They will be aware when to use the right tense, especially the tenses used often in email writing.
- They are armed with the tools to proofread and pick out grammatical errors and correct these.
- They can construct clear sentences to put forth their points without overloading their sentences.
- Their messages will manifest clear objectives.
- Identifying the Parts of Speech
- Learning when to use the 12 tenses
- Constructing the power sentence starting with the subject for clarity
- Maintaining subject/verb agreement
- Using the different punctuation marks accurately
- Identifying phrases and clauses to avoid long and convoluted sentences
- Using modal verbs in the correct format
- Using the correct vocabulary to avoid ambiguity
- Knowing when to use the Active and Passive Voice
- Using the appropriate connecting words to link ideas
- Achieving better grammar with a conversational writing style and tone
Administrative staff, supervisors, executives and managers.
Valerie Valberg-Yeoh, Managing Consultant of Vying Communications, brings to the workshop 26 years of experience in communications. The top graduate of her cohort of teacher trainees became Editor of Singapore Airlines’ award-winning house newspaper, Outlook. Her particular expertise is linguistics. After an overseas stint, Valerie returned to teach Communications Skills at the Singapore Polytechnic.
In 1993 she founded Vying Communications and has been conducting training in both written and spoken communications since then. In 1993 she also won the PAN SEAsian Toastmasters’ Speech Competition and has added presentation skills and speech training to her workshops. She also conducts workshops for the Institute of Public Relations, being an accredited member of IPRS, and the Marketing Institute of Singapore.
Among Valerie’s corporate clients are the Singapore National Employers’ Federation, Creative Technology, Visa International, Singapore Technologies, GlaxoSmithkline, Nanyang Polytechnic, Chio-Lim Stone Forest, and the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
13 – 14 Sep 2021
04 – 05 Oct 2021
01 – 02 Nov 2021
The class offers in-class or virtual learning
- Time: 9am – 5pm
- MIS Member enjoy 10% Discount
- Register for 8 or more participants to enjoy 10% Group Discount