Creative Problem Solving for Decision Making
by Raymond Thomas
Why You Should Attend This Course
Much of what business managers and supervisors do is solve problems and make decisions and they are likely to do it by reacting to the problems. Often, when they encounter a new problem or decision they must make, they react with a decision that seemed to work before.
Whilst problem solving is of crucial importance to all businesses when products or processes fail, such that corrective action can be taken to prevent further failures, a potential problem can be predicted, analysed and mitigation applied to proactively reduce the likelihood of problems occurring.
In this two-day practical and experiential Creative Problem Solving For Decision Making workshop, participants will be given both an organised approach to problem solving and decision making as well as a creative angle in viewing problems. Both Critical and Creative thinking, which have become personal and corporate imperatives, will help individuals forge a path from problems to solutions that are more dependent on logic, reasoning and imagination.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the Psychology of Problem Solving
- Define a Structured Problem Solving Process
- Understand Cause-Effect-Symptom-Problem Relationships in Problem Definition
- Apply Cause-Effect Tools and Techniques and Develop Root-Cause Analysis
- Apply Idea Generation Tools and Techniques in Formulating Creative Solutions
- Apply Evaluative Tools and Techniques for Decision Making Process
- Identify Strategic Considerations in Evaluating Risks and Implementing Solutions
Basics of Problem Identification
- Psychology of Problem Solving
- Understand the definition of a Problem and its characteristics
- Problem solving process – DMAIC
Elements of Problem Identification
- Relationship between Cause-Effect-Symptom-Problem (CESP)
- Characteristics of problem statements
- Validation process for problem statements
- Applying guideline for clear problem statements
Applying Root Cause Analysis
- Purpose and impact of RCA
- Review different RCA techniques
- Finalizing root-cause through a funnelling process
Developing Creative Solution Process
- Differentiating divergent and convergent techniques
- Applying tools and techniques for identifying creative solutions
- Process to narrow down solutions
Evaluating Solutions and Making Decisions
- Applying tools and techniques for evaluating solutions
- Finalize decisions with Decision Matrix
Strategic Considerations in Implementing Decisions
- Identify and review action plans
- Develop and review follow up contingency actions
- Formulate after action review process
- Applying risk assessment in decision making
- New business executives in the financial industry who want practical tools and skills in strategic problem solving techniques.
- Business executives and organizational talent-pool participants who desire actionable tools and skills to reinforce their career and management positions.
- Seasoned managers who want to brush up on new skills related to problem solving and decision making.
- Senior managers who want practical tools and skills in leading staff members towards enhanced problem solving and decision making techniques.
Raymond Thomas is the Founder and Managing Director of The Leadership Paradigm, a leading provider in the field of leadership skills enhancement and management. He is also an Entrepreneur, Consultant, Speaker and Coach, with more than 20 years leadership experience collaborating with local and multinational organisations.
He inspires and engages leadership change elements which are aligned to business needs. His passion is in the fields of leadership, critical thinking, operations and management. His seminars and workshops are fun, interactive and designed to maximise learning retention.
Raymond is also the Immediate Past President (2015-16) and professional member of the Asia Professional Speakers Singapore (APSS).
02 – 03 Dec 2021
The class offers in-class or virtual learning
- Time: 9am – 5pm
- SDF Available (Non-WSQ) Code: CRS-N-0024328
- SkillsFuture Credit eligible
- MIS Member enjoy 10% Discount
- Register for 8 or more participants to enjoy 10% Group Discount