Essentials of Employment Law
by Samuel Seow
The purpose of this Course is to provide a general introduction to the laws in Singapore relating to employment. These laws include the Employment Act (“EA”) as well as case law. As the EA is Singapore’s main labour law, this Course shall cover it in some detail as it is important for any employer; employee and HR practitioner to have an in-depth understanding of its interpretation and application. This Course will also include a basic understanding of how to draft and interpret employment contracts.
Why You Should Attend This Course
For business owners; employers; and HR practitioners, this Course will help you keep your business in compliance with employment regulations. With a generation of workers who are more sophisticated and more aware of their employment rights, employers and management staff involved in people-management, must implement HR policies and procedures in a way which would minimize conflicts between employers and employees; and which would protect the company from non-compliance risks.
- Understand the EA and case law that govern human capital relations in Singapore and its provisions, and when it applies
- Interpret the EA and its clauses competently, and to apply these correctly to case scenarios
- Review company HR policy and practices
- To be able to understand and draft a simple employment contract
- Contracts of Service versus Contracts for Services (Definition of Employee)
- Differentiate Workman, Non-Workmen & PME (Professional, Managers and Executives)
- Who are protected by the Act? Who are not covered under the Act?
- Essential structure of EA
- Dismissal and the process of Due Inquiry
- Coverage and Protection under EA
- Basic Salary, Gross Salary and Overtime Pay
- Mandatory benefits under EA
- Entrepreneurs and owners
- HR officers
- Administrative Officer and Office Administrator directly or indirectly involved in the design and development of HR policies and procedures
- Managers and Line Managers with people-management responsibilities
Samuel’s legal expertise is in the field of intellectual property law; media law; and general commercial and corporate law, and he has extensive experience in dealing with a wide range of transactions, with a special focus on the application of these laws to the entertainment, arts and media industries.
The Asia-Pacific Legal 500 has ranked Samuel as a “significant individual” in the fields of Intellectual Property law and Media law. Asian Legal Business has described him as a “mover and shaker’; and he has also been dubbed the “celebrity lawyer” of Singapore. He has also been named one of the Top 100 lawyers in Singapore.
Samuel is an acclaimed speaker on topics relating to all aspects of law and entrepreneurship and has been invited to speak at many events throughout the world, including the first Tedx event ever held in Singapore; and XMediaLabs events across Australia, where he was invited to lecture upon the stage of the Sydney Opera House and the State Theatre Centre of Western Australia.
In 2010, Samuel received the Spirit of Enterprise Award which is given out annually to a select few to recognise the entrepreneurial spirit in Singapore.
23 Nov 2021
The class offers in-class or virtual learning
- Time: 9am – 5pm
- MIS Member enjoy 10% Discount
- Register for 5 or more participants to enjoy 10% Group Discount